"- don't be so quick to knock it. People don't usually part with the weird shit they personally know because they know how easy it will be to punch holes in. Now I'm tellin you somethin. It's for you to poke through the soup and find the meat." John Patrick Shanley's 'the dreamer examines his pillow'

Saturday, September 23, 2006

1:01 am

Ok, what is it about love that feels so familiar? Why do you say all the same things and profess promises that sound strangely like echoes? Is the world playing a big joke on me? It’s really not the love that’s the same, it’s our expression – each of our relationships could be as complex and intricate and UNIQUE as each one of us, if we shed the clichés and show ourselves – even just occasionally. Down with the words ‘I love you’- Fie on hugs for sake of hugs. Give me what you want to give me when you’re with me, anger, touch my face, sit in silence, don’t give me what you think others have wanted, I don’t want it. Don’t pretend to be happy to see me when you’re not. Don’t play it cool if you want to make love to me. You are shitting on authenticity. You are shitting on me. You are shitting on yourself. We can recognize the uniqueness of our relationship by saying fuck you to all the labels and seeing it for what it is. Then when you touch me I’ll take it for what it is, I won’t put prescribed meaning behind it. And when I want to kiss you, dear friend, or stop looking at you, lover, then you can know that it is not merely an empty ritual; something I think I’m supposed to do... It comes from me, to you –a true relationship. Messy, and beautiful, and real. Like us.

2 Comments:

Blogger Kara said...

I got a letter from you and lenny today....it boggled me, and made me laugh, and took my away from my sleepy, grumpy 7:15am morning daze. Thank you for your uniqueness.

all my love,
kara

11:31 AM

 
Blogger Elysia said...

I can't find the right words to express my feelings in response to this insight... sort of proud and wry and knowing that you'll know what I mean that I know what you mean... you know.

10:04 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home