"- don't be so quick to knock it. People don't usually part with the weird shit they personally know because they know how easy it will be to punch holes in. Now I'm tellin you somethin. It's for you to poke through the soup and find the meat." John Patrick Shanley's 'the dreamer examines his pillow'

Monday, October 03, 2005

A death in the family

SHOUT OUT
wherever you are
to August Wilson, who has recently left us.
please observe a moment of silence. (seriously)

A phenomenal playwright, Wilson passed away in Seattle last night, fortunately not before finishing his cycle of ten plays, one for each decade, depicting the intimate struggles of African Americans in the 20th century. Theatre is forever indebted to him for the history-through-theatre he provided, the fabulous venue for African American artists, and the raw, beautiful and human way he portrayed his characters and stories.
Thank you, August Wilson.

3 Comments:

Blogger kirsten said...

That was beautiful! It really was.... I pray for you and for this playwright's family and for all that were affected by his death. I love you!

7:58 PM

 
Blogger Megan Rose said...

Beth, I saw an article after it happened and it made me sad. He was soo good. It made me think of our old drama class too, so I sent an email to Jen with the article....sad news. He will be cherished.....forever. Love u!

8:35 PM

 
Blogger Michelle said...

Liz, this is slightly unrelated, but I like you. I hope you are having the best time, and also, one of your earlier posts is titled "Summer in Ohio" and I wonder if you have heard the song "Summer in Ohio", because it's a good one :) From, Michelle. I am smiling at you right now.

11:16 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home