"- don't be so quick to knock it. People don't usually part with the weird shit they personally know because they know how easy it will be to punch holes in. Now I'm tellin you somethin. It's for you to poke through the soup and find the meat." John Patrick Shanley's 'the dreamer examines his pillow'

Wednesday, February 02, 2005

Standing under the black drapery of the night sky, I face my dorm hall, light peeking out through plastic blinds and laughter floating out windows. But out in the cold dark under silent tree branches it is much more alive. I tilt my face up, daring myself to open my eyelids wide to take in the starless heavens. The old building is out of my sight, and so are thoughts of entering it. The cold stings my eyes. I stand beneath an onslaught of snowflakes drifting down. I'm the center of the universe and it's falling on me. I can't move. I stand in wonder as... it doesn't stop, it comes, and it comes, and...
Maybe life is not a journey. Maybe we're standing perfectly still, and it falls on us, bit by bit, and we're changed. Bit by bit.

8 Comments:

Blogger Jennifer said...

i think that i will ponder this for hours.

10:05 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gimps of my future

Trapped in a measly little snow glob, looking out through its plated plastic sheet. Time as it seems, is passing by slowly, ever slowly. It rains on command and snows on command. The earth even seems to shake on command. Here, stuck in this tiny plastic village, watching undersized particles of snow dust accumulate, and eventually take over the slick plastic pine trees. It buries the houses and takes over the town. The snow continues to fall and anchor me to the floor. It takes my space and if that wasn't enough my breath. As I begin to suffocate, my mind began to wonder. I thought of how I wasn’t like the villagers. I didn’t try to take flight. I just stood there waiting, and wishing for my chance to escape this retched life.

11:44 PM

 
Blogger William said...

elizabeth this has nothing to do with your post i am sorry. i miss you. i'm sorry i havent emailed you back i've been super busy. i'm making your gift though i am excited. maybe i will email you know. i love you

9:38 PM

 
Blogger Ermine said...

Oopsy, I never sent you the required e-mail to get here. I tried, honestly, like a bajillion times, but everytime I would start one it would get too long and dumb and made me sad, so I would scrap it, and try again, but it didn't work, so I cheated, I looked off of Jennifers... I think you should come home right now just so you can smack me for cheating, because I miss you.

10:28 PM

 
Blogger Elysia said...

I think you should come home and smack Ermine too.
I miss you

9:17 AM

 
Blogger Elysia said...

Hey Elizabeth, you should read Ermine's blog. You know if it weren't for you, he'd never have had this opportunity!!!
LOVELOVELOVE

8:33 PM

 
Blogger Ermine said...

Hey, I was writing her a whole long letter about the whole thing, but you spoiled the surprise, I suppose I can still write the letter to ask for advice and stuff

8:59 PM

 
Blogger Lennard said...

I hate to be bossy, but Elizabeth - Post. Now.

4:10 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home