"- don't be so quick to knock it. People don't usually part with the weird shit they personally know because they know how easy it will be to punch holes in. Now I'm tellin you somethin. It's for you to poke through the soup and find the meat." John Patrick Shanley's 'the dreamer examines his pillow'

Friday, October 02, 2009

Hot Tasty Treats

It's more difficult to VegWrite than I imagined... there are so many things to take into consideration; I want to write about the glory of French Fries: how they can be shared joyously with just about anybody, are always cheap and available, and never fail to bring a twinkle to my friends' eyes when they realize they can share a precious part of their big greasy meal with their friend on a “strict diet”. But my conscience is panging at me - is someone who hasn't had much exposure to veganism going to read this and be turned off by the thrill I get out of eating soggy ol' fries? Will they (mistakenly) think that the only joy I find in my diet is in those "naughty" foods that everyone else eats anyway? Do I really want my very first post to be about a digestible whose consumption has contributed to the illness and death of a frightening number of Americans?

Let me tie together my scattered thoughts by saying that while I do believe in the cases where veganism is a choice, the choice is a serious one, whether it's for environmental reasons, health, ethical reasons, etc. It's taking a bigger picture into account than the here-and-now and requires time, effort, and yes, sacrifice, so I do want to take it seriously. However, one of the reasons I am so excited by VeganMoFo is the fact that it puts an undeniably human face on a lifestyle that is often dehumanized. Anyone with the patience to scroll through a few of these blogs will (I'm sure) find the diversity and sheer humanity a potent aspect of the experience... so here's to French Fries and frivolity in the midst of our valiant but flawed attempt to do the right thing.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home